Songwriting Tips: Idea Generator
In writing a song, most beginners would like to write a song by first writing a poem that has a set of nice rhymes, and a simple time signature or measure. But in today’s modern music evolution, this kind of songwriting will not work anymore. Most of the times as song writers, you may get the feeling of not able to write a song because you literally ran out of ideas in your mind. Sometimes you will get stuck on the lines and their rhymes alone and the melodic arrangement and the measure of the song. So here is a good suggestion: Why not try to use someone’s song to stimulate a good idea out of your mind?
Here are some songwriting tips that I can share to you.
- Try to look for a hit song. – Sometimes the most popular song that you like can be the best way to stimulate your mind to produce a new song. Yes! Try it. I am sure that you will get results fast.
- Play your favorite song and be familiar with it. – you can choose from a wide variety of songs that you like but began with your favorite song. Play it over and over, try to overdose your self until you got familiar with the ideas of the song writer who wrote the song.
- Feel what the song writer wants to express. – the most essential way for you to get to the bottom line of everything is to ask yourself why did the songwriter wrote this song, or what is the main point and goal of the song. Once you do this kind of thinking you will then be able to write a new song and inspire yourself more.
After a series of listening and understanding a song, an idea will suddenly be created. Now it’s time for you to work on the following area.
- Work on your lyrics. – spend time to think about words that would emulate or express the idea that you want people to feel. Make sure that you get what you want to express.
- Simple Melodic Chords will do. – keeping it simple will make a boost on your song and would even make it unique. But if you are a musician, then try to make it more advanced.
- Give more time to write and think. – most song writers fail when they tend to rush in on ideas. Just relax and think more. Write and focus on a certain idea. Let your title be your story. Do not use many titles or descriptions that could out focus your mind. Stay focused until you are done.
Doing these tips will make your song writing easy and using a song or a lyric as an idea generator is fine as long as you do not copy the other song writer’s idea. Remember, the best songs are the one that came from the bottom of one person’s heart and soul